All about writing

Words are fascinating ... Put them together in the right way, and we can communicate with people in other places and other times. Make a mess of it and ...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Monday, November 22, 2010

Do You Save the Best for Last?

My (ahem) scientific study, for which I'm going to enlist your assistance, dear, gentle reader, involves one of those universal questions that may have great import for the future of civilisation as we know it!

And it's this:

When you sit down to your dinner of meat and three veg, do you eat your favourite food first, or do you save it till last?

I know, I know ... It's quite staggering that no-one up till now has thought to conduct a scientific investigation into this complex question ... But that's why I'm here -- to ask the difficult questions.

The Love of My Life grew up having to eat his vegetables first and saving the meat till last ... but my philosophy had always been to eat what you enjoyed first, because then if you were full, you could leave the things you didn't like as much on your plate.

I remember reading an article once that postulated that many of the eating problems of Westernised children stem from the practice of their parents coaxing them to eat their vegetables before they could have dessert -- the clear implication being that dessert was the reward for tolerating the nasty vegetables. Not terribly sensible when you come to think about it, is it?

Children these days don't know how lucky they are, when you think of all the wonderful vegetables we have to choose from. Not like in the Olden Days when we were limited to potatoes, bitter pumpkins, ditto carrots, vile parsnips, swedes and turnips.

Now there are lots of lovely varieties of these old vegies, plus fresh supplies of things we only ever got in tins when I was a child (mushrooms and asparagus spring to mind) and then all the salad vegetables and sprouts and ...

So here's your chance to set the record straight ... Add your comment below so we can find out once and for all: Do you save the best for last?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a fully paid up member of the instant gratification society, I always eat my favourite things first.

Fri Nov 26, 08:27:00 am AEST  
Blogger Linda said...

I like to eat several things together - a bit of potato, carror, a few peas, a piece of meat, etc. I like the combination of flavours.
My husband, on the other hand, likes to save his favourite food till last. I don't know why, as it must always be cold by then!

Fri Nov 26, 09:04:00 pm AEST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to save my favorite for last (so that would be the last flavor left in my mouth after the meal). But I recently did a diet program where you were told to eat your favorite thing first. Then, when you got full, you could leave whatever was remaining on your plate.

Fri Nov 26, 11:41:00 pm AEST  
Anonymous Trevor said...

Hi Jennifer, & everyone else. Ever since I can remember, I've always liked to leave a favourite item of food, until last. Used to see it as my reward for having eaten everything else.
In fact when there were sprouts on the menu & the children were young, I would leave one sprout, to be consumed, alone. This to encourage the children to eat them.

Sat Nov 27, 07:52:00 am AEST  
Anonymous Jane said...

I like to eat my favourite thing last so the flavour remains in my mouth. I rarely mix food items i.e. will eat a piece of carrot, then a piece of meat, then a piece of another veg. Maybe this habit should be the basis of a second study Jennifer!

Mon Nov 29, 07:23:00 am AEST  
Blogger Mary said...

I don't eat one thing first or last. I eat a bite of this and a bite of that and so on. But I do try to save a bite or two of my favorite for last.

Mon Nov 29, 11:41:00 pm AEST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I usually do the cooking I always have food I enjoy on my plate - so there are no favourites because I love it all BUT I have paid attention and I just about always make my first mouthful potato (so many wonderful ways to prepare potatoes)and then I mix all the different foods on the fork. All veggies are good.

Wed Dec 01, 11:03:00 pm AEST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought it was just me that left the best till last. The last bit of a chop used as a mop to gather up the remaining mash and gravy. Yumm Yumm.

Wed Feb 09, 08:16:00 pm AEST  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tue Aug 27, 01:18:00 am AEST  

Post a Comment

<< Home